Things to Consider Before the Start of Your Residential Paving Project
Asphalt paving is a very popular driveway pavement choice because of its many desirable qualities. However, there are specific things you need to know about the paving process to carry out a residential paving project successfully. Hiring a reputable and reliable pavement contractor is the most important step in getting your driveway paved. In addition to doing all the work, the paving contractor will fill in any gaps you have in your plans and make appropriate suggestions when necessary.
Bytown Paving is a household name in residential paving and asphalt services throughout Ottawa. In this blog, we will discuss the process of residential paving to help you make informed decisions.
Plan your driveway paving project with these pointers in mind:
· Asphalt pavements are a popular choice for driveways in Ottawa. They resist damage caused by the snow, are cost-effective and easy to install and maintain. But, standing water will damage asphalt paving, so installing drains along the driveway is necessary.
· Any existing pavement must be removed before a new asphalt pavement is installed. This process requires the breaking of the pavement using heavy machinery such as bobcats and jackhammers, so be prepared for the noise.
· Hot-mix asphalt is the choice of asphalt used for new pavements because it is durable. It requires warm temperatures to set properly. This poses a problem in winters as temperatures can drop below the freezing point. The asphalt will develop cracks even as it sets in such conditions. So, make sure you choose a warmer season to install a new asphalt pavement. Summers would be ideal as even overnight, the temperature will be optimal for the asphalt to set correctly.
· A new asphalt pavement might have marks left over by the rollers. The marks give it an unfinished look, but these imperfections will disappear in a month or two of regular usage.
· When compared to other pavement materials, asphalt is extremely easy and quick to install. However, it needs anywhere from 24 - 48 hours to set correctly and during this time, you will have to stay off of it.
· Get quotations from a few different contractors and compare them. Asphalt installation might be cheap and easy, but not everyone can offer the best quality of service. Choose a contractor with competitive pricing, credible references and a portfolio of project pictures and worksite information.
Count on Bytown Paving to answer all your questions regarding asphalt paving. We have been providing paving services for over 30 years. We offer group discounts for neighbors who wish to complete multiple projects at the same time. We also provide commercial and residential landscaping services.
Contact us today for residential paving services.